Historic and Prophetic Diagram of the World
- Alternate Title:
- Historic and Prophetic Diagram of the World - God's Plan of Salvation for Law Breakers
- Historic and Prophetic Diagram of the World
- Persuasive Maps: PJ Mode Collection
- Woodward, J. Elwin
- Posted Date:
- ID Number:
- File Name:
- 1900 - 1919
- 53 x 71 sheet (centimeters, height x width)
- This remarkable chart has rightly been called “a riot of text, color and imagery . . . . a rare and vivid work of theological imagination.” https://bostonraremaps.com/inventory/1912-historic-and-prophetic-diagram/, accessed January 28, 2018. It is basically a vast timeline from “Eternity of the Past” before 4004 B.C. to “Eternity of the Future” following the year of publication, 1912. Every point in between (and above and below) is dense with text and images.
It was produced by J. Elwin Woodward and published with his book “The Story of the Ages from Creation to Redemption - Key to Historic and Prophetic Diagram of the World and God's Plan of Salvation for Law Breakers,” which included over 200 pages of detailed explanation. An introductory overview in the book (at 11-15) explains that every "event, date, fact or symbol represented on the chart" is keyed to the numbers 1-30 at the top and bottom and the letters A-Z at the left and right, and each of these is discussed in detail in the book.
In his Introduction, Woodward notes that "great truths and important lessons are quickly and easily grasped by the mind, through the aid of illustrative diagrams." He explains that "the author, by means of grouping together on one chart the greatest historic outlines and prophetic symbols of the Bible, has endeavored to present, at one view, God's plan of the ages, and the entire history of the world . . . , a means by which even those least familiar with the Scriptures may grasp, with ease, its wonderful truths. To understand this diagram, or chart, means to understand the great essentials of history and prophecy, law and gospel, time and eternity." (At 9-10.)
The cover of Woodward’s book, ID #2219.02, is an allegorical map summarizing his thesis. Creation and Eden Lost are shown at the Upper Left, historic places and events in the center, and the United States at the bottom, leading to Eden Restored and The New Earth.
This Diagram has much in common with ID #2085, Skeen, "Genealogical Chronological and Geographical Chart" (1887), as well as ID #2253, "Leonard's Chronological and Geographical Family Guide to the Holy Bible" (1860).
For further information on the Collector’s Notes and a Feedback/Contact Link, see https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/about-collection-personal-statement and https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/feedback-and-contact
- Woodward, J. Elwin. 1912. The Story of the Ages from Creation to Redemption - Key to Historic and Prophetic Diagram of the World and God's Plan of Salvation for Law Breakers. Chicago: Historic and Prophetic Publishing Company.
- Private Collection of PJ Mode
- For important information about copyright and use, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/copyright.