Before You Vote, Remember Berlin!
- Alternate Title:
- Prima Di Dare Il Voto, Ricorda Berlino! [Before You Vote, Remember Berlin!]
- Before You Vote, Remember Berlin!
- Persuasive Maps: PJ Mode Collection
- Other Creators:
- Aurelia, printer; "Oltrecortina," publisher
- Posted Date:
- ID Number:
- File Name:
- 1960 - Present
- Politics & Government
Communism & Cold War
- 100 x 70 (centimeters, height x width)
- A large anti-Communist poster for an Italian election campaign, urging viewers to remember the evils of the Berlin wall before they vote. The poster is dominated by an outline map of the city, divided by the wall, with a photo of a prosperous, bustling West Berlin opposite a photo of the desolate East. Below the map is text repeating the point: "West: Democracy, Liberty, Prosperity. East: Communism, Terror, Misery and A Wall of Shame."
The Italian Communist Party had substantial economic support from the Soviet Union and was powerful in the 1960s, particularly in the industrial cities of the north. It won control of city government in several places, including Florence and Bologna, and it achieved 25 to 30% of the popular vote in the parliamentary elections of 1963 and 1968 (when it's estimated that this poster was published).
The poster was produced by "Oltrecortina" (Beyond the Iron Curtain), a Milan publisher of anti-communist books, pamphlets and posters in the 1960s.
For further information on the Collector’s Notes and a Feedback/Contact Link, see https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/about-collection-personal-statement and https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/feedback-and-contact
- Private Collection of PJ Mode
- For important information about copyright and use, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/copyright.