Bald Hill Residence 15, View - Partial Garden Elevation
- Bald Hill Residence 15, View - Partial Garden Elevation
- John Clair Miller
- John Clair Miller
- Brooktondale, Tompkins, New York, United States
- United States
- ID Number:
- File Name:
- Project Title:
- Bald Hill Residence 15
- Project Type:
- Work Type:
- Image View Type:
- Image View Description:
- View - Partial Garden Elevation
- Design a residence for a professional couple on a site in a large open field surrounded with woods on three sides.
The design took advantage of a unique green-walled open site with a distant view. The overall design concepts involved the integration of the buildings, including a garage, a potting shed and a play structure, within a garden as an island, set in the natural conditions of the land. The garden includes formal elements: oblique axial approach with controlled perspectival views, formally manipulated trees [bosque and espalier forms] and hedges, a viewing terrace, axial movement, terracing floral and vegetable gardens, and manicured axial lawn with controlled distant view at one end, and dark woods as grotto, at the other end. A large grid of evergreens was added as a windbreak from the prevailing northwest winds. The central areas: living/music, dining, sitting, kitchen [with adjoining pantry] are open to each other and interrelated. The two-story living/music space is overlooking the field to the north and the dining, sitting, kitchen [with continuous skylight] faces the south with views of a portion of the garden. An adjoining dining terrace overlooks the distant view, the garden and the grotto. A separate work area includes the two-story studio [with continuous skylight], a supporting counter and sink area with storage, a darkroom, and a study above. The bedrooms, library, bathing area and storage/laundry space are on the second level with circulation overlooking the living/music area. The interior materials are ceramic tile floor, rough-sawn plywood walls and painted drywall ceiling. An addition of a bedroom over a summer porch was added in 1989.
- The images in the John Clair Miller Collection (here presented as “Projects”, “Competitions” and “Collages”) and the John Clair Miller Image Collection of Twentieth-Century Architecture in Iceland are protected by copyright, and the copyright holder is their creator/photographer, John Clair Miller. Images in the John Clair Miller Collection were created between 1962-2007, and were digitized by Cornell University Library. Images in the John Clair Miller Image Collection of Twentieth-Century Architecture in Iceland date from 2001-2007, and were digitized from 35mm slides by Cornell University Library in 2016. Cornell is providing access to the materials for research and personal use. The written permission of any copyright and other rights holders is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use that extends beyond what is authorized by fair use and other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.