Voyage of Youth to the Land of Happiness
- Alternate Title:
- Carte Allegorique du Voyage de la Jeunesse au pays du Bonheur
- Voyage of Youth to the Land of Happiness
- Persuasive Maps: PJ Mode Collection
- Lemierre-d'Argy, Auguste-Jacques, 1762-1815
- Other Creators:
- Gillet, R. (Robert), -1798? Woodthorpe, Vincent
- Posted Date:
- ID Number:
- File Name:
- 1800 - 1869
- Conduct of Life
- 14 x 18 (centimeters, height x width)
- This work first appeared in 1796, authored by Robert Gillet. It purports to have been "composed by mistriss Gillet," a London governess and published by "the Editor" in both English and French (on facing pages) not only for the educational value, but "to render it beneficial to young pupils by his moral design." (p.2) It consists of 100 aphorisms and the allegorical map.
In addition to the text on the map, there is a bilingual key at the end of the book. The Voyage of Youth begins at Dark Bay (A), traverses moral obstacles such as Obstinance, Dissipation and Ennui (D, F, J), and gains Courage and Success (N, Q). Guided by the beacons of Reason (B) and Religion, Youth navigates "the rocks and whirlpools of Pride and Presumption" (V) to arrive at the land of Happiness (T). Awaiting him are "all sorts of pleasures and benefits alluded to by the Honey-Hill and the mines of Gold and Diamonds, likewise indicated on the map." (p. 175).
See generally Baynton-Williams 2015, 116
Barron, Rod, http://www.barron.co.uk/Imaginary+Maps+Pt+1/item1135?startPos=, accessed November 24, 2014.
Ocean voyages have often been used in allegorical mapping. See Subjects > Allegorical.
For further information on the Collector’s Notes and a Feedback/Contact Link, see https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/about-collection-personal-statement and https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/feedback-and-contact
- A. J. Lemierre, Cent Pensee d'une Jeune Anglaise Publiees en Anglais et en Francais/The Hundred thoughts of a Young Lady, Published in English and French. Paris: Legras et Cordier, 1802.
- Private Collection of PJ Mode
- For important information about copyright and use, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/copyright.