Germany's Geo-Military Situation in 1933
- Alternate Title:
- Die wehrgeographische Lage Deutschlands 1933 [Germany's Geo-Military Situation in 1933]
- Germany's Geo-Military Situation in 1933
- Persuasive Maps: PJ Mode Collection
- Gauss, Paul
- Posted Date:
- ID Number:
- Collection Number:
- File Name:
- 1920 - 1939
- color printing
- Between the Wars
- 21 x 28 on sheet 25 x 30 (centimeters, height x width)
- Beginning in the late 1920s, maps like this one were produced in growing number as part of an effort to demonstrate the vulnerability of Germany and to confront directly the restrictions on armaments imposed by the Treaty of Versailles (Herb 1997, 115-16, 120). Some versions show simply the numbers of enemy military aircraft and the arcs of possible attacks overlapping all of Germany. This one adds references to the numbers of tanks, amount of heavy artillery, troop levels and additional strategic information. For other examples, see ID #1241.05 (Leers)
#1240 (Noll). After official rearmament in 1935 and remilitarization of the Rhineland in 1936, these maps were no longer necessary
indeed, the Nazi government had just the opposite objective, to show the nation growing in military strength (Herb 121).
For further information on the Collector’s Notes and a Feedback/Contact Link, see https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/about-collection-personal-statement and https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/feedback-and-contact
- Gauss, Paul. 1935. Das Buch vom Deutschen Volkstum: Wesen - Lebensraum - Schicksal. [The Book of German Nationality: Essense - Living Space - Destiny] Leipzig: F. U. Brockhaus. 149.
- Cite As:
- P.J. Mode collection of persuasive cartography, #8548. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.
- Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
- Archival Collection:
- P.J. Mode collection of persuasive cartography
- For important information about copyright and use, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/copyright.