American Bases In the World
- American Bases In the World
- Full Title:
- Voici les Bases Americaines dans le Monde: Que est l'agresseur? Qui Menace? (Here Are the American Bases Throughout the World: Who is the Aggressor? Who the Threat?)
- Persuasive Maps: PJ Mode Collection
- Parti Communiste Francais [Communist Party of France]
- Publication Year:
- Date posted:
- ID Number:
- Unusual Projection
Communism & Cold War
- (cm, H x W) 82 x 122
- Collector's Notes:
- A powerful cold war poster published by the French Communist Party in 1951. The Soviet Union and China are shown on the globe, the targets of arrows from locations surrounding them, each from an American military base or ally. The message of the arrows is reinforced by extensive text.
In the upper left of the poster: "Two million American soldiers are preparing for war outside of America in all countries of the world, with their general staffs, their fleets, their tanks, their planes." Below it is a quote from Truman: "The U.S. must make its policy the sudden blow."
In contrast, on the upper right: "Since the crushing of Hitler, not a soldier of the USSR or the popular democracies had fired a single shot outside the borders of his country." Below is another American quote, from MacArthur: "The Soviet military posture is essentially defensive."
In script across the map are the questions: "Who is the Aggressor? Who the Threat?"
- For further information on the Collector’s Notes and a Feedback/Contact Link, see https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/about-collection-personal-statement and https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/feedback-and-contact
- For full details on references, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/references.
- Private Collection of PJ Mode
- For important information about copyright and use, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/copyright.