Henry Clay The Nation's Favorite Ribbon, ca. 1844
- Henry Clay The Nation's Favorite Ribbon, ca. 1844
- Political Americana
- Textile Designer:
- Political Figure:
- Clay, Henry, American (1777-1852), Presidential Candidate
- ca. 1844
- Election Date:
- ID Number:
- Collection Number:
- File Name:
- Political Party:
- Work Type:
- textiles (visual works)
costume by form
Ashland, Lexington, Kentucky
- 20.32 x 7.62 (Ribbon) (centimeters)
- Ribbon contains three separate images, a short poem extolling Henry Clay, and a quotation from Clay regarding the Tariff of 1842. Marthens appears as a maker's name to the lower right of the top image. Item is undated but most Henry Clay ribbons were produced for the 1844 Presidential campaign. References: Fischer and Sullivan 1985, Page 80, Ribbon HC-31.
- Cite As:
- Susan H. Douglas Political Americana Collection, #2214. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.
- Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
- Archival Collection:
- Susan H. Douglas Political Americana Collection
- This digital collection and its contents are owned and operated by the Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library. Digital reproductions are provided for private study, scholarship and research use only and may not be downloaded for use in electronic or print publications (including web sites), exhibitions, or broadcasts, without permission. There are no known U.S. copyright restrictions on this image. The digital file is owned by the Cornell University Library which is making it freely available with the request that, when possible, the Library be credited as its source.