Householder carrying prepared midday meal to workers in paddy lands
- Householder carrying prepared midday meal to workers in paddy lands
- Alternate Title:
- Depicting the Sri Lankan Vernacular
- Dwelling #06
- MacDougall, Robert D. (Robert Duncan), 1940-1987
- Mimure, Kandy District, Central Province, Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka
- Work Type:
Mimure oya (stream)
- Householder from Dwelling #6 carrying prepared midday meal to workers in paddy lands. The Mimure brook (oya) is the major source of water for paddy cultivation in Mimure. Newly flooded terraces are shown here. The Mimure oya rises in the Knuckles range and is part of the Mahaweli Ganga watershed. Government efforts to protect the watershed have led to a prohibition on slash and burn (chena) cultivation and other land use restrictions in the Mimure area and elsewhere in the Knuckles range. The Mimure oya flows east/northeast into the Heen Ganga, a major tributary of the Mahaweli.
- Bonnie G. MacDougall (original photographs)
- The images in the Sri Lankan Vernacular are protected by copyright, and the copyright holder is the Estate of their creator/photographer, Bonnie MacDougall. Images in the Sri Lankan Vernacular collection were created between roughly 1960-2012, and were digitized by Cornell University Library from a variety of negatives, positives, and slides retained by the Estate of the photographer. Cornell is providing access to the materials for research and personal use. The written permission of any copyright and other rights holders is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use that extends beyond what is authorized by fair use and other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.