New construction of forecourt
- New construction of forecourt
- Depicting the Sri Lankan Vernacular
- Dwelling #13
- MacDougall, Robert D. (Robert Duncan), 1940-1987
- Mimure, Kandy District, Central Province, Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka
- ID Number:
- File Name:
- Work Type:
- Dwelling #13 incorporated a foreroom shop (exterior shown) for a period of time. In this photograph, a concrete seating area is being constructed for customers. The shop room behind it had been recently covered with a metal roof. The use of non-traditional materials such as concrete and metal for roofing accelerated in subsequent decades as the local economy became increasingly monitized through cash cropping. The Sri Lankan government endorsed the change to "permanent" materials and in a few cases provided financial support for upgrading and repairs.
- Bonnie G. MacDougall (original photographs)
- The images in the Sri Lankan Vernacular are protected by copyright, and the copyright holder is the Estate of their creator/photographer, Bonnie MacDougall. Images in the Sri Lankan Vernacular collection were created between roughly 1960-2012, and were digitized by Cornell University Library from a variety of negatives, positives, and slides retained by the Estate of the photographer. Cornell is providing access to the materials for research and personal use. The written permission of any copyright and other rights holders is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use that extends beyond what is authorized by fair use and other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.