Greek inscription from Oropos
- Greek inscription from Oropos
- Cornell Cast Collection
- Mericle, Danielle
- ca. 1890-1900
late 3rd c. BCE
- Oropos, Greece (original)
- Goldwin Smith Hall (Room B44), Cornell University
previously, Goldwin Smith Hall (Room B48, dendro lab)
Oropos, Greece (original)
- ID Number:
- Accession Number:
- File Name:
- Original Measurements:
- 77.5 (H) x 38 (W) cm
- Work Type:
- casts (sculpture)
- plaster cast (sculpture)
marble stele with inscription (original)
- Oropus (Greece)
Amphiaraus (Greek mythology)
- Image View Type:
- Image View Description:
- from front
- 76 x 35.5 x 2.8 (centimeters, height x width x diameter)
- This is a cast of the back side (side B) of a pedimental stele with inscription from the healing sanctuary of Amphiaraos at Oropos, a site on the border between Attica and Boeotia. The original, housed at the British Museum, is inscribed on both front and back. The inscription, Epigr. tou Oropou 324 or IG VII 303, directs a panel of three officials to inventory, melt, and recast metal objects in the the temple of Amphiaraos that have been damaged or are no longer usable. The newly cast items are to be dedicated to the god. The cast is in relatively good condition, with a chip missing from the upper right (viewer's) corner and some surface chipping. The cast of the front face (side A) of this inscription is ID no. 396.
- Items in the Cornell Cast Collection are meant for inventory and reference purposes. Metadata may not be complete in all cases.
no. 1816,0610.378 or Inscription 160
- Vasileios Ch. Petrakos, Hoi epigraphes tou Oropou (Athens, 1997), 231-238, no. 324.
- Related Work:
- ID no. 396 is the front face of this inscription.
- Cornell University (current)
London, British Museum (original)
- Collecting Program:
- Cornell Collections of Antiquities
- The images in the Cornell Collection of Antiquities: Casts are protected by copyright, and the copyright holders are their creators, generally Cornell University Library, Annetta Alexandridis, and Verity Platt. This collection of plaster casts owned by Cornell University was photographed by Cornell University Library, Alexandridis, Platt, and Andreya L. Mihaloew from 2010-2015, with funding from a Digital Collections in Arts and Sciences Grant to Annetta Alexandridis. Cornell is providing access to the materials for research and personal use. The written permission of any copyright and other rights holders is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use that extends beyond what is authorized by fair use and other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Please contact Annetta Alexandridis and Verity Platt for more information about this collection, or to request permission to use these images.