Wisdom casting forth the Rays of Learning and Knowledge over the Island of Great Britain
- Wisdom casting forth the Rays of Learning and Knowledge over the Island of Great Britain
- Full Title:
- Wisdom casting forth the Rays of Learning and Knowledge over the Island of Great Britain & Ireland and Britania on her right hand with an Angel descending to her with a Crown of Laurel.
- Persuasive Maps: PJ Mode Collection
- Hinton, John
- Date posted:
- ID Number:
- Other Moral & Social
Other War & Peace
- 21 x 13 sheet
- Collector's Notes:
- This allegorical frontispiece for the January 1749 edition of The Universal Magazine shows the goddess of wisdom, surrounded by a halo of light, superimposed on a map of Britain. Above is a quote from Proverbs: "Wisdom is the principal thing: therefore get Wisdom: get Understanding: forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her and she shall keep thee, and bring thee to honour." Below is "The explanation of the frontispiece - Wisdom casting forth the Rays of Learning and Knowledge over the Island of Great Britain & Ireland and Britania on her right hand with an Angel descending to her with a Crown of Laurel."
The image may relate to the end of the War of the Austrian Succession by the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle in October 1748; among other things, this issue of the magazine discusses "Great preparations" in Dublin "for the celebration of the day of thanksgiving for the peace," including plans for a "temple of peace" with a medaillon "representing Minerva, the goddess of wisdom." (p. 41)
- For further information on the Collector’s Notes and a Feedback/Contact Link, see https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/about-collection-personal-statement and https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/feedback-and-contact
- The Universal Magazine, vol. IV, no. 3, January 1749.
- For full details on references, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/references.
- Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
- Archival Collection:
- P.J. Mode collection of persuasive cartography
- For important information about copyright and use, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/copyright.