Vietnamese NLF Victory Map
- Vietnamese NLF Victory Map
- Full Title:
- Persuasive Maps: PJ Mode Collection
- Date posted:
- ID Number:
- Other War & Peace
Politics & Government
- 22 x 40
- Collector's Notes:
- This fold-out map of the world shows an unusual connection between the National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam (NFL) - represented by its flag - and 27 other communist nations and parties from Cuba and the Soviet Union to Tanzania. The location of the NFL flag at the top of the map gives it the appearance of dominating the worldwide communist movement.
The NFL was formed in late December, 1960, for the purpose of overthrowing the government of South Vietnam and reunifying the country under communist rule. The NFL came to have a variety of components, military (the Viet Cong), political, and diplomatic. Following the psychological advantage it gained in the 1968 Tet Offensive, the NFL formed the Provisional Revolutionary Government to participate in the negotiations that led eventually to the Paris Peace Accords of 1973.
This map appears in “South Vietnam on the Road to Victory,” a book of photos published in 1971 to celebrate “the 10th founding anniversary of the N.F.L., organizer and leader of the South Vietnamese people’s sacred resistance, and of the 10th Unification day anniversary of the S.V.N. People Liberation Armed Forces, nucleus of the great people war.” The book was published in English - ostensibly in South Vietnam itself – and expresses the “deep gratitude” of those in the South to “their Northern kindred”, and “heartfelt thanks to their friends in all continents who, regardless of the colour of their skins, their religious beliefs and political opinions, have taken sides with the Vietnamese people, for peace and justice.”
For the opposite view, see ID #2042, "The Whole World Is With Us," showing 31 nations supporting South Vietnam and the U.S.
- For further information on the Collector’s Notes and a Feedback/Contact Link, see https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/about-collection-personal-statement and https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/feedback-and-contact
- South Vietnam on the Road to Victory. 1971. n.p. South Vietnam: Giai Phong Publishing House.
- For full details on references, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/references.
- Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
- Archival Collection:
- P.J. Mode collection of persuasive cartography
- For important information about copyright and use, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/copyright.