Cross-section view of Townley-Read Large Outdoor Firepit
- Title (English):
- Cross-section view of Townley-Read Large Outdoor Firepit
- Onöndowa'ga:' (Seneca) Haudenosaunee Archaeological Materials, circa 1688-1754
- Kurt A. Jordan
- Townley-Read Large Outdoor Firepit
Townley-Read Feature 5
- File Name:
- Work Type:
- maps, diagrams, excavation photos
- This is a cross-section drawing of the large outdoor firepit (Feature 5) at the Townley-Read site, drawn after the east half of the feature had been excavated. The diagram shows the different layers (strata) identified within the firepit. Only the unaltered Seneca layers found below plow-mixed soil are shown.
Kurt Jordan, Archaeologist
- Images in this digital collection were released earlier than planned to facilitate access during the 2020 period of social distancing. For a full discussion, see https://digital.library.cornell.edu/collections/seneca
- Kurt A. Jordan, The Seneca Restoration (Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 2008), Figure 5.6
- This item is protected by copyright, and the copyright holder is the Society for Historical Archaeology. Cornell is providing access to the materials for research and personal use. The written permission of any copyright and other rights holders is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use that extends beyond what is authorized by fair use and other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. For questions, comments, or feedback about this collection please contact Kurt Jordan in the Cornell Institute of Archaeology and Material Studies with any questions or information about these materials.