Nurse with two children
- Nurse with two children
- Loewentheil Collection of African-American Photographs
- ca. 1850
- Work Type:
- Daguerreotype|Cased photographs|Hand coloring
- African Americans
African American women
- Sixth plate daguerreotype.
- Images featured in the Loewentheil Collection of African-American Photographs were assembled by Stephan Loewentheil and donated by the Loewentheil family. The collection includes some historical images that reveal racist, disturbing, or otherwise negative representations or stereotypes of the people depicted. These images have been included as part of the historical record and should not be interpreted to mean that Cornell University or its staff endorse or approve of the negative representations or stereotypes presented.
- Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
- Archival Collection:
- Stephan Loewentheil Photograph Collection
- The majority of images in the Loewentheil Collection of African-American Photographs (RMM08043) are believed to be in the public domain in the United States by virtue of their creation date (pre-1923). The copyright status and copyright owners of the remaining images in the Loewentheil Collection of African-American Photographs (RMM08043) are unknown. This collection was digitized by Cornell University Library in 2016 from a photographic print collection, with funding from an Arts and Sciences Grant to Katherine Reagan and Cheryl Finley. Descriptions and titles are from the physical collection, and will be updated incrementally. Whenever possible, information on current rights owners is included with the image. Cornell is providing access to the materials as a digital aggregate under an assertion of fair use for non-commercial educational use. The written permission of any copyright and other rights holders is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use that extends beyond what is authorized by fair use and other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Cornell would like to learn more about items in the collection and to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information as to rights holders. Please contact the Rare and Manuscripts Collection at firstname.lastname@example.org.