The Journey of Life
- Alternate Title:
- The Journey of Life, or an Accurate Map of the Roads, Counties, Towns &c. in the Ways to Happiness & Misery
- The Journey of Life
- Persuasive Maps: PJ Mode Collection
- Wright, George, Esq.
- Other Creators:
- Engraver: Condor, Thomas
Publishers: Buckland, James
- Posted Date:
- ID Number:
- Collection Number:
- File Name:
- Before 1800
Conduct of Life
Heaven and Hell
- 25.1 x 17.3 on sheet 35.5 x 20.5 (centimeters, height x width)
- The collection includes a number of allegorical "roadmaps" intended to encourage the viewer to act in conformity with religious norms. See Subjects > Heaven and Hell. Good examples are ID # 1040, The Three Roads to Eternity, 1825, and the maps illustrating John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, ID # 1038 and 1055. At the other end of a spectrum are maps that take an essentially secular view of the conduct of life, such as ID # 1030, Voyage of Youth to the Land of Happiness, 1802, and ID # 1172, The Road to Success, 1913. Wright's map is somewhere in between. Certainly the Glory of Heaven is at the top of the map and the Bottomless Pit of Hell at the bottom. But the book is intended for "Chearful [sic] Christians," and the map's title makes it clear that Wright's "Journey of Life" leads to "Happiness" or "Misery," suggesting more here-and-now than hereafter.
There is a two-page "Explanation of the Map" at the end of Wright's book. See also Harmon 2004, 50-51; http://www.barronmaps.com/products/walking-amusements-for-chearful-christians/, accessed November 20, 2017.
For further information on the Collector’s Notes and a Feedback/Contact Link, see https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/about-collection-personal-statement and https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/feedback-and-contact
- Wright, George, Walking Amusements for Chearful Christians
or trades spiritualized: to which are added various pieces, in prise and verse
with a map of the roads to happiness and misery.
- Cite As:
- P.J. Mode collection of persuasive cartography, #8548. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.
- Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
- Archival Collection:
- P.J. Mode collection of persuasive cartography
- For important information about copyright and use, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/copyright.