Map of the North Atlantic Ocean
- Alternate Title:
- Map of the North Atlantic Ocean Showing European Colonial Possessions Under Their National Flags
- Map of the North Atlantic Ocean
- Persuasive Maps: PJ Mode Collection
- Duncan, W. B.
- Posted Date:
- ID Number:
- Collection Number:
- File Name:
- 1870 - 1899
- 19 x 34 (centimeters, height x width)
- For background, see Notes for ID # 1131.01.
In this map, the American coastline is colored blue and all the colonial territories in the Atlantic (British, French, Dutch, Danish) are colored red
except for the Spanish colonies in yellow. The American fleet had blockaded the Spanish in Santiago Harbor at the end of May, and the Marines had landed at Guantanamo Bay on June 10, the day before this map was published. The American flag over Washington is far larger than any other flag on the map, including the flags over Madrid and Lisbon.
For further information on the Collector’s Notes and a Feedback/Contact Link, see https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/about-collection-personal-statement and https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/feedback-and-contact
- Supplement to Harper's Weekly, June 11, 1898.
- Cite As:
- P.J. Mode collection of persuasive cartography, #8548. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.
- Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
- Archival Collection:
- P.J. Mode collection of persuasive cartography
- For important information about copyright and use, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/copyright.