- Alternate Title:
- Persuasive Maps: PJ Mode Collection
- Posted Date:
- ID Number:
- File Name:
- 1960 - Present
- Work Type:
- color printing
- Conduct of Life
Advertising & Promotion
- 37 x 26 (centimeters, height x width)
- A map on the front page of the edition of the East Village Other published immediately before Woodstock. The map shows the location of the festival - more or less - but the psychedelic images of naked women emerging from tubes of "Glee," deconstructed guitars and banjo-headed birds told a more complete story. The internal portion of the paper included a two-page spread on expected performers (with photos) and an advertisement for the festival with information (art show; crafts bazaar; work shops; food; etc.), along with ticket purchase details.
The East Village Other was "a New York newspaper so countercultural that it made The Village Voice look like a church circular." (Fox, Margalit, "Walter Bowart, Alternative Journalist, Dies at 68." New York Times, January 14, 2008. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/14/arts/14bowart.html?_r=0, accessed January 15, 2015).
In 1969, the East Village Other was published weekly. This copy is dated August 20, 1969, three days after the end of the festival. Nevertheless, it was almost certainly published and distributed before the festival: weekly magazine “cover dates” are typically seven days after publication. A famous example is the cover headline of the United States News (predecessor of U.S. News & World Report) from its edition of December 12, 1941: “If War Comes in Pacific . . . .”
In this case, the August 20 publication is labeled as a “National” edition and it has no after-the-fact content about the festival. Indeed, it is exactly the same as a “Metropolitan” version dated August 13. See http://www.barronmaps.com/products/woodstock-east-village-vol-4-no-37-august-13-1969-3/, accessed August 15, 2019. These two are both identified as “Vol. 4, No. 37,” with the “National” version likely intended for distribution outside the New York area. Following the festival, the East Village Other published a new edition, “Vol. 4, No. 38,” with photos and articles about the event; the Metropolitan version of this edition is dated August 20, 1969. See https://voices.revealdigital.com/?a=d&d=BFGHCGB19690820&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN---------------1, accessed August 15, 2019.
For further information on the Collector’s Notes and a Feedback/Contact Link, see https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/about-collection-personal-statement and https://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/content/feedback-and-contact
- The East Village Other, Vol. 4, No. 37, August 20, 1969. p. 1.
- Private Collection of PJ Mode
- For important information about copyright and use, see http://persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu/copyright.