Cordes-sur-Ciel: Paternoster Stairs to Porte de L'Horloge
- Cordes-sur-Ciel: Paternoster Stairs to Porte de L'Horloge
- John Reps Collection - Bastides
- Raymond VII
- Founding Date:
- Tarn, Midi-Pyrénées, France
- ID Number:
- Collection Number:
- File Name:
- Work Type:
- color photographs
- Image View Description:
- Paternoster Stairs to Porte de L'Horloge
- Never referred to as a bastide, Cordes was a castrum founded before the restrictions of the Treaty of Meaux of 1229 became effective
Steep, high, elongated peak with many streets & lanes following contour lines with others boldly ascending & descending on nearly direct lines
Virtually nonexistent as space is almost entirely occupied by market building
Many fine large, late 13th & early 14th century houses as well as numerous smaller structures. 14th century market building with tall & slender stone pillars. Ancient well at market building. Large gates mark entrances to four levels of fortifications that were extended as town grew.
- Cite As:
- John Reps Papers, #15-2-1101. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.
- Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
- Archival Collection:
- John Reps papers
- The images in the John Reps Bastides Collection (a portion of "John Reps Papers, #15-2-1101") are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC-BY) ( https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/). Attribution must be given to their copyright owner/creator/photographer, John Reps. Images in the John Reps Bastides Collection were created between 1951-2014, and were digitized from 35mm slides by Cornell University Library. For questions, comments, or feedback about this collection please contact the Rare and Manuscript Collection at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following citation in any use of materials from the John Reps Bastides Collection: John Reps Papers, #15-2-1101. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.