Parthenon frieze, North XXXVI, figs. 96-99
- Parthenon frieze, North XXXVI, figs. 96-99
- Cornell Cast Collection
- Unknown (supervised by Phidias)
- Alexandridis, Annetta
- ca. 1890-1900
- Athens, Greece (original)
Athens, Greece (original)
- ID Number:
- Accession Number:
- possibly Sage no. 161
incision on top left corner : A.O.
- File Name:
- High Classical
- Work Type:
- casts (sculpture)
- plaster cast (sculpture)
marble bas-relief (sculpture technique) (original)
- Parthenon (Athens, Greece)
- Image View Type:
- Image View Description:
- from front
- 95 x 123 x 5 (centimeters, height x width x diameter)
- This is a heavily damaged cast of North XXXVI, a weathered but intact original, depicting four horsemen riding towards the viewer's left. Fig. 96, in profile, wears a chiton and bows his head slightly as he rides forward. His arms are both bent to hold reins. He overlaps the rider behind him (fig. 97), who looks ahead. Fig. 97's bent left arm is visible behind fig. 96's drapery and the overlapping head of fig. 98's horse. The foregrounded third rider (fig. 98), who wears a sleeveless chiton, is the central figure on the block. His body is in a three-quarter pose, but he turns his somewhat damaged (in the original) head to look out at the viewer. Both his left arm, hanging at his side, and his right, bent at a ninety degree angle, held now-missing reins. He appears to lean back very slightly. His horse gallops forward lifting its front legs from the ground. Fig. 99, who follows fig. 98, wears a sleeved chiton and also bows his head. He holds his horse's reins in his bent left arm and lifts his right hand to his head. The head of his horse is partly obscured behind fig. 98. Missing in this broken cast are several large fragments from the lower right part of the block and many edge fragments.
- Items in the Cornell Cast Collection are meant for inventory and reference purposes. Metadata may not be complete in all cases.
P.P. Caproni and brother, Catalogue of Plaster Reproductions from Antique, Medieval and Modern Sculpture (Boston, MA, 1911), 97
Ian Jenkins, The Parthenon Frieze (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1994), 98
- Related Work:
- ID no. 668 duplicates this cast block. Belongs with ID no. 535, a fragment.
- Cornell University (current)
Athens, Acropolis Museum (original)
- Collecting Program:
- Cornell Collections of Antiquities
- The images in the Cornell Collection of Antiquities: Casts are protected by copyright, and the copyright holders are their creators, generally Cornell University Library, Annetta Alexandridis, and Verity Platt. This collection of plaster casts owned by Cornell University was photographed by Cornell University Library, Alexandridis, Platt, and Andreya L. Mihaloew from 2010-2015, with funding from a Digital Collections in Arts and Sciences Grant to Annetta Alexandridis. Cornell is providing access to the materials for research and personal use. The written permission of any copyright and other rights holders is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use that extends beyond what is authorized by fair use and other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Please contact Annetta Alexandridis and Verity Platt for more information about this collection, or to request permission to use these images.