Parthenon frieze, North II, figs. 4-5
- Parthenon frieze, North II, figs. 4-5
- Cornell Cast Collection
- Unknown (supervised by Phidias)
- Alexandridis, Annetta
- ca. 1890-1900
- Athens, Greece (original)
Athens, Greece (original)
- ID Number:
- Accession Number:
- possibly Sage no. 161
- File Name:
- High Classical
- Work Type:
- casts (sculpture)
- plaster cast (sculpture)
marble bas-relief (sculpture technique) (original)
- Parthenon (Athens, Greece)
- Image View Type:
- Image View Description:
- from front
- 99 x 121 x 4 (centimeters, height x width x diameter)
- This is a heavily damaged cast of North II, a nearly complete original. Missing here is a large section of the left side of the block, which contained fig. 3 and the front legs and part of the chest of one of the two bulls in the original block. Here, two young men (figs. 4 and 5) in himatia escort two bulls towards the viewer's left. Fig. 4, fully draped and in profile, overlaps the bull whose front parts are damaged here. The herdsman's head is missing in this cast. Fig. 5, in three-quarter pose and with chest bared, is missing his head here, too. He is overlapped by the bull he helps to lead, who bolts up in apparent distress, lifting booth hooves from the ground and stretching its head upward. The forearms and drapery of a man (fig. 6) who tries to restrain the bull and who is contained in North III, are also visible at the far right side of the block.
- Items in the Cornell Cast Collection are meant for inventory and reference purposes. Metadata may not be complete in all cases.
Ian Jenkins, The Parthenon Frieze (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1994), 84-85
- Related Work:
- ID no. 302 duplicates this frieze block.
- Cornell University (current)
Athens, Acropolis Museum (original)
- Collecting Program:
- Cornell Collections of Antiquities
- The images in the Cornell Collection of Antiquities: Casts are protected by copyright, and the copyright holders are their creators, generally Cornell University Library, Annetta Alexandridis, and Verity Platt. This collection of plaster casts owned by Cornell University was photographed by Cornell University Library, Alexandridis, Platt, and Andreya L. Mihaloew from 2010-2015, with funding from a Digital Collections in Arts and Sciences Grant to Annetta Alexandridis. Cornell is providing access to the materials for research and personal use. The written permission of any copyright and other rights holders is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use that extends beyond what is authorized by fair use and other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Please contact Annetta Alexandridis and Verity Platt for more information about this collection, or to request permission to use these images.