Historic Glacial Images of Alaska and Greenland
- The 1906 Cornell expedition to Alaska is described in Bill Alley's book (including photographs and quotations from field notebooks from the Cornell archives): "Rivers of Ice: The Yakutat Bay expedition of 1906" Outskirts Press, 93 pp.(2012)
- The Cornell participants brought back specimens of fungi from their 1896 Greenland expedition that are housed at Cornell and described in the presentation "More Mushroom Alumni."
- Glacier images from the digitized collection were displayed alongside modern views as part of an exhibit called "Historic Ice" at Cornell's Mann Library from November 2015-January 2016 that is described in articles from Mann Library and the Cornell Daily Sun.
- To open the "Historic Ice" exhibit, Matt Pritchard gave a public lecture on November 10, 2015 entitled "Glacier Change in Greenland and Alaska Since the Pioneering Cornell Expeditions Led by R.S. Tarr (1896-1911)" that you can watch on YouTube.
- An older (November 2013), but slightly longer presentation by Matt Pritchard about R. S. Tarr and the digitization project is available online through the Glacier Lecture Series that opened a new glacier permanent display at the Paleontological Research Institution's Museum of the Earth, entitled: "Watching Glaciers Change From Space - Links to Pioneering Cornell Glaciologist Ralph Stockman Tarr (1864-1912)" is available here on YouTube.
- Additional digitized photographs of Oscar D. von Engeln and R. S. Tarr during the glacier exhibitions and of von Engeln sitting at the the Tarr Memorial Boulder in later years can be found in Images from the Rare and Manuscript Collections.
- Digitized photographs of the two memorials to R. S. Tarr on the Cornell campus (boulder outside of McGraw Hall and stained glass window in Sage Chapel) can be found in Campus Artifacts, Art & Memorabilia.
- Guide to the Ralph Stockman Tarr Papers, Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections
- Guide to the Oscar Diedrich von Engeln Papers, 1866-1965, Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections.
Persistent Identifier for this Collection
Tarr, Ralph Stockman & Cornell University Library (2014). Historic Glacial Images of Alaska and Greenland from the Ralph Stockman Tarr expeditions (1896; 1905-1911). Cornell University Library. doi.org/10.7298/X4M61H5R