19th Century Prison Reform Collection
More from the Cornell Archives
- American Association for Labor Legislation Records. 5001. Kheel Center for Labor- Management Documentation and Archives, Martin P. Catherwood Library, Cornell University.
- British Prison Reform Items, #8037. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.
- National Committee on Prisons and Prison Labor Pamphlets and Leaflets. 5966. Kheel Center for Labor-Management Documentation and Archives, Martin P. Catherwood Library, Cornell University.
- Prison Association of New York. Report of Special Committee to the Prison Association of New York on Convict Labor. New York: N.p., 1885. [in Kroch Libraries Rare and Manuscript Collections]
Other Digital Archives and Podcasts
- Eastern State Penitentiary, n.d. http://www.easternstate.org/.
- Handley-Cousins, Sarah, and Elizabeth G Masarik. “The Auburn System: Prisons and Punishment in the 19th Century United States.” DIG: A History Podcast, 11 Mar. 2018, https://digpodcast.org/2018/03/11/auburn/.
- Michel, Laura. "Pennsylvania Prison Society." The Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia, 2016. http://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org/archive/pennsylvania-prison-society/.
- Lincoln Center’s Honors Class. Paved with Good Intentions: Origins of the New York Penitentiary, 2018. https://nyprisonorigins.com/.
The Pennsylvania System
- Bache, Franklin. Observations and Reflections on the Penitentiary System: A Letter from Franklin Bache. Philadelphia: Jesper Harding,1829, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044054999487;view=1up;seq=5. (Primary Source)
- Blake, Alexander V. Prison Discipline: The Auburn and Pennsylvania Systems Compared. New York: Craighead & Allen, 1839, http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/Lieber_Collection/pdf/Prison-Discipline.pdf. (Primary Source)
- Meranze, Michael. Laboratories of Virtue: Punishment, Revolution, and Authority in Philadelphia, 1760–1834. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1996. (Secondary Source)
- Penrose, Charles B. Report of the joint committee of the legislature of Pennsylvania, relative to the Eastern State Penitentiary. Harrisburg: Welsh & Patterson, 1834, https://archive.org/details/reportofjointcom00penn_8. (Primary Source)
- Sheehan, Glenn W., “Eastern State Penitentiary: A Study in ‘Progressive’ Penology,” Archaeology, 45, 1992, 44–47. (Secondary Source) Teeters, Negley K. “The Pennsylvania Prison Society: A Century and a Half of Penal Reform,” Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, 28, 1938, 374–79. (Secondary Source)
- ——. They Were in Prison: A History of the Pennsylvania Prison Society, 1787–1937. Philadelphia: John C. Winston Company, 1937. (Secondary Source)
Prisons and Slavery in the South
- Ayers, Edward L. Vengeance and Justice: Crime and Punishment in the 19th Century American South. New York: Oxford University Press, 1984.
- Blackmon, Douglas A. Slavery by Another Name: the Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II. 1st Anchor Books ed. New York: Anchor Books, 2009.
- Hartman, Saidiya V. Scenes of Subjection: Terror, Slavery, and Self-Making in Nineteenth-Century America. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Hindus, Michael Stephen. Prison and Plantation: Crime, Justice, and Authority in Massachusetts and South Carolina, 1767-1878. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1980.
Autobiography of an Auburn Prisoner
- Reed, Austin. The Life and the Adventures of a Haunted Convict. Ed. Caleb Smith. First edition. New York: Random House, 2016.